Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Sandwich Hall Of Fame Inductees

Each year the Sandwich Hall of Fame committee, through a painstaking process, selects a group of sandwiches that they deem worthy to be hall of famers.  This year's class is a very worthy (and tasty) collection of burgers, hoagies, and sandwiches from all parts of the country.  If you get the opportunity you should honor these inductees by eating them.  I proudly present to you the 2011 Sandwich Hall Of Fame Inductees.



Actually, before I present the inductees, I would like to recognize the two finalists that did not quite make the cut.  First, we have The Prime Rib Peppercorn Sub from Quiznos.  The use of top notch ingredients and utilizing their patented Toasted Bun Technology was key.  However, the fact that the Quiznos closest to me closed about two years ago really hurt their chances of getting into the hall this year.  Next we have The Little Bacon Cheeseburger from Fives Guys Burgers and Fries.  Another great sandwich, but it just missed being honored this year.  I predict that if this burger works as hard as it has in the past, it is a shoe in for next year's induction class.  Now on the the honorees.

The Corned Beef and Provolone - Slacks Hoagie Shack

From humble beginnings (it was born in a shack) this hoagie pulled itself up by its bootstraps right into my tummy.  The thin slices of corned beef and provolone just plopped themselves down on a freshly baked Amoroso roll and said, "Go ahead, put whatever onions or mustard or whatever you crazy kids are eating these days on me and eat me!"  And you want to know something just between you and me?  I did.




Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak - Any pizza place worth a damn

This sandwich combines two giants from the junk food universe.  It couples Buffalo wings and a cheesesteak making it the Brangelina of sandwiches.  Lets hope this power couple adopts some cheese fries.





The Double-Double - In-N-Out Burger

The thing that I loved about this sandwich was its simplicity.  It's just a couple of burger patties with cheese, lettuce, and onions on a bun.  It's almost like the Double-Double is saying, "Yeah I know I'm just a cheeseburger, but I'm really f-ing good at it."





The Roast Beef Schwartzie - Primo Hoagies

Roast beef, Swiss cheese, cole slaw, Russian dressing, bread.  When listed apart this looks like a shopping list for a very sad lonely man.  If you combine them, they become an unstoppable force of flavor, devastating any puny little appetite that crosses its path.


The Bobbie - Capriotti's Sandwich Shop

If you look at the picture to the left, you are probably not sure what you are seeing.  My friends, you are staring down the barrel of a loaded Bobbie.  Take turkey (roasted in-house), stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayo and you have a full Thanksgiving dinner on a hoagie roll.  This sandwich will NOT be sitting at the kids table this year.




The Soprano - Carmine's Italian Market and Cafe

I stumbled upon this gem while vacationing in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I would like to set the mood for you.  The guy behind the counter begins with a loaf of Italian bread.  I don't just mean a hoagie roll, I mean a loaf.  If you were dining at an Italian restaurant and they brought a basket of bread for the table and you hoggishly ate all of it and asked for another basket, that is how big this loaf was.  This loaf was then loaded with meatballs the size of tennis balls.  It was then topped with about 3-4 pigs worth of spicy Italian sausage, followed by tasty marinara and a generous portion of mozzarella cheese.  I tried to attack this sandwich in one day (for lunch and dinner) and was out of commission for about the next 48 hours. 

After a long 40 year wait, the veteran's committee decided to finally induct Peanut Butter and Jelly With the Crusts Cut Off into the Sandwich Hall of Fame.  Way to go PB and J, it's been a long time coming.





So there you have it folks, a group of sandwiches as handsome as they are tasty.  These delicious sammies will be forever enshrined in the Sandwich Hall of Fame (aka my belly).  On a more sad note, I would like to announce that Subway is still banned from the Hall of Fame for being a total disgrace to sandwiches.  The only acceptable unit of measurement for the meat on a sandwich is and always will be fistful.

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, applaud the decision to finally let in PB and J. I feel like a lot of first-round newcomers to the voting process were getting in under the radar and it was time to put a stop to it. PB and J never put up flashy numbers but it was a solid to great player in a day when sandwiches weren't as popular as today. As far as I'm concerned, it was THE inventor of diagonal-cut goodness.

    Also, kudos for the comments on Subway. They needed to be said. It's tough going to Subway, seeing the appalling amount of meat they put on my sub and having to ask, "Did I wrong you in some way? Put the rest on."

    They might as well provide skirts there instead of bibs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Dude, you got me spitting beer on my monitor. "l;et's hope this power couple adopts some cheese fries." Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by "Ron said" that would be this guy.

    ReplyDelete